Tuesday 12 January 2016

Directions Unit - The Director Workshop (11/01/16)

Yesterday was my first directions workshop in the studios with Simon and I was tasked with recreating a scene from the film Atonement with my own directorial stamp on it.

We spent the day looking at a number of ways of shooting a scene and learning how the slightest change in set/shot can make the biggest difference in how the viewer perceives what is going on. I also learned how to communicate with both the cast and crew and how we can organise them into their appropriate roles.

It is important to remember that the first thing I should be doing as a director on the day of filming is checking the location, making sure that you are happy with the location. If your chosen location is a set build in a studio or takes place indoors, you must make sure that all the props are in the right place and that they are appropriate with the film as well as the set itself. If you are filming at an outside location you must be happy with the location as it is and must ensure that nothing changes in the days following your first shooting day. In this case you may have to deal with a few last minute decisions, for instance if it's sunny on one day and rains on another.

Filming location for The Wire
The second thing you should be doing is checking that all the cast you need is on set. Once they are all there they should go for some run throughs of the script so that they know what to say. Only when they are confident with what they are reading can you start to give directions on how they should be saying everything and what their mood should be, get them into character. Another thing you should check is that you are happy with what they are wearing, you must ensure that what they are wearing is appropriate with the film.
Cast of The Wire on set

The third thing to remember on the day of filming is the crew. Are you happy with everyones roles and is everyone ready to film. you should be giving them a clear idea of what they are filming, how they should be filming it and what mood should come off of this scene. Everyone should be sticking to their roles primarily and that's it. Only you as the director has authority to command others in different roles.
Crew filming The Wire

Once we went through the basic rules of what a director should be doing and how a director can implement their ideas, we were given the task of recreating a scripted scene from the film atonement. We were put into groups of four and each had a go at directing, ensuring that everyones take was different. I was grouped with Troy and Nikki as well as Fergus who filled in as the fourth person (the camera man). I was the first person to direct in the group and because of that I found it increasingly difficult as I almost set the basis for everyone else. I felt I did alright towards the end of my turn and I got a decent amount of coverage with a number of different perspectives. Given that this was my first taste of directing, I feel that I am much more prepared for my final piece than I was originally was.

(Video pending)

No comments:

Post a Comment