Thursday 27 October 2016

Digital News - Project Evaluation

Project Evaluation

The new year saw new challenges to help build us up for life after university. This would be the first unit we are marked on for our final degree. For this unit we had to create a branded digital news channel and website on a subject of our choice. To help create this show we were put into groups of 4, each member with their own idea that they feel would work as a digital news show.

It was Troys idea that we went through with in the end, the idea was to create a branded show about contemporary art in London. The initial idea was to film at The Other Art Fair, which is an art event held for emerging artists looking to break into the art scene. This idea was scrapped due to lack of access and we needed to have all the pre production sorted in a quick time. Instead we got into contact with the Highgate Contemporary Art Gallery, who allowed us to film at one of their exhibitions as well as get access on another date as well.

I took up the role as director and script writer for this unit. I felt somewhat comfortable writing the script, I had plenty of resources to work from, Sammi provided a detailed list of questions she asked both Hannah, the gallery owner, and Jonathan, the artist. This formed the basis of my questions and also helped write the rest of the script. However there was a lot of changing around with the script and some parts I wish I could change if I could come back to it. For instance some of the dialogue in the News Package sounded like a live piece.

As director, there is a lot I changed about my approach to the news package that I did not do in the live. I felt rather unorganised during the live piece, some of it was just nerves but some was just me not knowing where to go next. There was a lot of changing around on the day, which is something I did not want to happen, as I did not plan where I'd be filming in the gallery specifically. The Package however went a lot smoother, I felt more organised. Research went into the gallery beforehand and I got plenty of coverage. There were changes made on the day but having a co-director on the day, Josh, really helped push the project forward without too many hitches.

For future reference, I'd like to spend a lot more time on planning everything we do before I get to the location and to plan for any future instances that may occur. I do not feel that directing was the best role I could have picked, but I would certainly like to explore it even more.

1 comment:

  1. hello - sam, i am reviewing blogs as part of the digital news assessment. Yoour blog is nearly empty of entries. what is there is good - but it is no way near enough. You need to engage with this process, it is part of the unit - not optional. As a blog on its own, this would fail. If you need help in using the blog, please ask for advice. s

    ReplyDelete