Thursday 15 December 2016

Fiction Adaptation - Locations

Having decided on using an urban(ish) location, I looked into choosing somewhere to shoot my film. The first places I looked were Maidstone, Gillingham, Chatham, Rochester, Sittingbourne and Sheerness. All of which were locations I knew well and were easy enough for me to get to. All were achievable. However the location I went with was Sheerness. For me it was the most accessible, being just under 2 miles away from where I live, and it had a diverse scenery. It also fit the idea of my poem. I didn't want the location to be a generally nice place to live and Sheerness is relatively old fashioned town with dated scenery.

The next task was figuring out where I wanted to film specifically. Ideas included the high street, the clock tower, the canal, a bar/shop/restaurant/cafe, the leisure park and a beach amongst others. The one that stuck out the most for me was a bar. Having the character drinking alone in a bar was a step in the right direction in showing that this character is generally a lonely person. I also wanted to film at the beach, typically a nice setting, the beach is a wide open space where the character feels even smaller and even lonelier. This also meant using the High Street to show his journey walking to the beach.

I had gained permission from The Belle and Lion, a pub part of the Wetherspoon chain, to film in their pub provided I didn't disrupt their work and I didn't film any of the staff. The pub is very large meaning that I would be able to pick a spot that was out the way of everyone else.





No comments:

Post a Comment