Thursday 15 December 2016

Fiction Adaptation - Shoot Day

On the 28th November, I shot the live action scenes for my adaptation of the poem, 100% with help from Troy Smith and Josh Bayly who helped with camera, sound and logistics. We started shooting at 11:30 as planned at the Belle and Lion in Sheerness. All in all I am happy with the coverage I got though the shoot was not without its flaws.





















Scene 1 - The Belle and Lion
The first scene was the pub scene, which saw the lonely old man (Andrew Hill) drinking alone in an empty area of the pub. The ambience picked up from the camera suggests that there are other customers in the pub though they are not in shot at any point. Shots included close-ups of the pint, a shot from behind the stained-glass window of a booth and various medium close ups and long shots of the lonely old man on his own. We got plenty of coverage inside the pub and this is the scene I am most pleased with. One regret I have was not getting a shot through the section of posts that separate him from the rest of the pub which would have encapsulated the ideology that he is trapped and alone, though the shot through the window does give off a similar tone.

Scene 2 - High Street and Leisure Park
There wasn't a great deal that I wanted from this scene as the old man is simply walking here. However shots included close ups of the feet and face as well as the old man walking towards the camera and through the leisure park. For what it was, coverage was again plentiful, I got everything I needed. Some scenes required a few takes as from time to time we would get in the way of the public and in some shots people would visibly shy away in front of the camera.

Scene 3 - Beach
Again, not too much to film but there were necessary shots and requirements for this scene. Various shots of the old man sitting at a bench looking out to sea and at his card, mostly close ups and medium shots. However one shot I never got was the shot of the sea itself, the one thing that truly opens up the space around him. One obstacle that we had to overcome was the sun. Plenty of sunlight beamed directly at the camera creating large amounts of unwanted solar flare. A mistake on my behalf meant that we had nothing to cover this up. To overcome this, I positioned myself so that I would be off camera while blocking out the sun light from the camera.

No comments:

Post a Comment