Tuesday 12 December 2017

Pre-Production - My Role as a Screenwriter

My Role - The Screenwriter

Another role that I have taken up is the role as the script writer for Condemned. Balancing the two roles as both a screenwriter and a producer will prove to be a challenging task, however it is one I am willing to take on.

In this post, I will be highlighting the various roles a screenwriter must undertake and what it will mean for me and my involvement throughout the year.

What is a Screenwriter

To be a screenwriter, one needs a very creative mindset and an in-depth understanding on the art of storytelling. The screenwriters role in the production of a film is very specific to one key area, script writing. A screenwriter must be able to research, develop and craft stories from literally nothing, though in some cases a screenwriter may be assigned with a specific story, tone or set idea in mind. It is the screenwriter who creates the blueprint for the director, producer and other crew members to work from.

My role as a screenwriter will involve forming the plot of the story, creating each and every character with strong and specific details, researching each plot point to ensure that my story is feasible, all before writing up the script. All of this will take place in the pre-production stage of the unit.

In the production stage, my role becomes more limited, however my role does not finish in the pre-production stage of the major project. It is always possible that changes to the script will have to be made during the shoot week to ensure that everything is up to date should any last minute changes need to be made.

No comments:

Post a Comment